HBS Bank (also known as Hastings Building Society) operates as a division of the SBS Bank with branches serving the Hawke’s Bay region.
Originally founded way back when in 1885, the bank had its initial headquarters located in Hastings, Hawkes Bay, New Zealand. And it kept it there for the next 100 years.
Formerly known as The Hastings Permanent Building and Investment Society (HPBIS), the name was changed to Hastings Building Society Limited (HBS) in July of 1997. 13 years later on October 1, 2010, HBS members endorsed a deal to merge with and become a subsidiary of SBS Bank.
Members voted overwhelmingly in the favour of the merger, with 98% ticking the yes box. Under the approved merger, the 125-year old brand which HBS built up was to continue, all staff and management were to be kept on board, and $100,000 per year would be distributed to the community through various forms of sponsorship.
The bank currently operates as a part of SBS Bank, offering customers products and services, such as:
- Everyday banking
- Loans (including home loans, personal loans, car loans, commercial loans and agribusiness loans), provided by Finance Now Ltd.
- Insurance (including payment protection insurance, car insurance, home insurance, loan repayment insurance, life insurance and travel insurance), provided by Southsure Assurance Ltd.
- Professional Trust Management
- Internet banking
Head office address
Corner Queen & Market Street
Hastings, Hawkes Bay
4122, New Zealand
HBS Bank, PO Box 10,
- Phone: +64 6 872 7299
Branches working hours
- Monday-Friday 9:00 am – 4:30 pm
- Tuesday: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm